Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Old North State

So I've been doing a little research on the new state that we'll be calling home. #1 I know I already like North Carolina bc one of my all time favorite movies was filmed there, "Cold Mountain." Maybe at some point I'll even be reliving one of my favorite scenes from the movie. It's actually at the end and what's left of the entire family (a lot died in the civil war) are all gathered around a long table with mismatched chairs set for a beautiful early evening supper under a big oak tree. Below is actually a picture from the scene. You can't see the whole set up but it gives you the feeling.















I have to be careful though bc it might worry my friends whenever they come to visit me if they showed up and I was dressed like this haha.













Anyways, I really enjoy American history and things like state's songs, birds, flowers. I love how we all have loyalties to our states. Maybe North Carolina will be my second favorite since nothing will ever be the same as my Georgia.

North Carolina- nicknamed "The Old North State.
state bird- Northern Cardinal ( how beautiful!)
state flower- the dogwood
In addition to that I find it hilarious that there are so many state symbols. I had no idea lol!
  • State mottoEsse quam videri ("To be, rather than to seem") (1893)

  • State song: "The Old North State" (1927)

  • State flowerDogwood (1941)

  • State birdCardinal (1943)

  • State colors: the red and blue of the N.C. and U.S. flags (1945)

  • State toast: "The Tar Heel Toast" (1957)

  • State treeLongleaf Pine (1963)

  • State shellScotch bonnet (1965)

  • State mammalEastern Gray Squirrel (1969)

  • State salt water fishRed Drum (also known as the Channel bass) (1971)

  • State insectEuropean honey bee (1973)

  • State gemstoneEmerald (1973)

  • State reptileEastern Box Turtle (1979)

  • State rockGranite (1979)

  • State beverageMilk (1987)

  • State historical boatShad boat (1987)

  • State language: English (1987)

  • State dogPlott Hound (1989)

  • State military academyOak Ridge Military Academy (1991)

  • State tartan: Carolina tartan (1991)[88]

  • State vegetableSweet potato (1995)

  • State red berryStrawberry (2001)

  • State blue berryBlueberry (2001)

  • State fruitScuppernong grape (2001)

  • State wildflowerCarolina Lily (2003)

  • State Christmas treeFraser Fir (2005)

  • State carnivorous plantVenus Flytrap (2005)

  • State folk danceClogging (2005)

  • State popular danceShag (2005)

  • State birthplace of traditional potterythe Seagrove area (2005)
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment